Thursday, November 11, 2010

A New Start

This week has been very strange. From feeling utterly rubbish at the start, this evening I am feeling quite upbeat and positive, particularly as I feel today was productive.

After going public on Facebook on Tuesday I received loads of comments and emails of support from friends all over the place which felt really encouraging. It gave me a nice warm feeling inside. I knew people would be supportive but was genuinely overwhelmed by the responses and the people who replied.

Today I had to visit the Occupational Health Department as I have had quite a lot of time off work this year and the number of absences automatically triggered a visit. After being unsure of what to expect, a couple of supportive messages set my mind at ease and the visit felt really productive. I am hoping to return to work on Monday morning with a phased return to work - basically I wont be working a full day for the first couple of weeks so I don't get overwhelmed by the work load.

I am making an appointment tomorrow to see my GP about arranging some counselling sessions. I have always found talking about emotional stuff difficult but I know the more I talk about my depression the easier it gets.

I don't know really what else to put in this first post. I think I am clearing my head out of what has happened today rather than go into detail about the causes and reasons for my depression.

I hope that makes sense.

The title of this blog comes from the name that Winston Churchill had for his depression. It is also the name of an awesome Led Zeppelin song.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you mucker you're a brave man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chap,

    Hope you dont mind but i will follow your blog if i may...

    Its been an interesting year for me also and hile i dont suffer too greatly from depession my brother does and we have only known about this very recently...

    Kind regards,

    P.s. I was so tempted to put the Churchill reference on my facebook reply, but i knew you would know of it haha...

    ReplyDelete